It’s not my birthday, but Mike tagged me with a date oriented meme that is based on different events that happened on your birthday. The rules are simple:
- Go to Wikipedia and type in your birthday (month and day).
- Write down three events, 2 births, 1 holiday and tag 5 friends.
- There are five slots in the Birthday Meme. As you are tagged, you have to remove the name in the first slot and bump everyone up so that your name can be added to the bottom.
Here are some random things related to my birthday. I am a Taurus born on April 28th.
Three events which occurred on this day
- 1952 – Occupied Japan: The United States occupation of Japan ends.
- 1994 – Former Central Intelligence Agency official Aldrich Ames pleads guilty to giving U.S. secrets to the Soviet Union and later Russia.
- 2003 – Apple Computer’s iTunes Music Store launches, selling 1 million songs in its first week.
Two people who share the same birthday as I
- 1442 – King Edward IV of England
- 1981 – Jessica Alba, American actress
One holiday celebrated on this day
- Workers’ Memorial Day – Workers’ Memorial Day or International Workers’ Memorial Day takes place annually around the world on April 28, an international day of remembrance and action for workers killed, disabled, injured or made unwell by their work. In a world, where on occasions death, injury and illness at work are hidden away and taken for granted, Workers’ Memorial Day is an opportunity to highlight the preventable nature of most workplace accidents and ill health and to promote campaigns and union organization in the fight for improvements in workplace safety. The slogan for the day is Remember the dead – Fight for the living.
I am tagging the following bloggers to participate in this meme.
Posted in WVb Stuff by Bucky .
One of my favorite plugins that I haven’t been able to use for a while because it quit working for me, is now working again. It is called “Sexy Comments.”
This plugin displays a beautiful forum-style comments section. The avatar that is displayed is pulled from your mybloglog profile. It used to be gravatar, but gravatar is old and clunky and never wanted to work right. There is also a “reply to” link which auto quotes the person you are replying to. Nice.
Here is what it looks like when you leave a comment: (This screencap has been scaled down to fit… leave a comment to this post to see how they really look!)
Posted in WVb Stuff by Bucky .
Do you remember all of the hype about the million dollar home page? The web page with exactly one million pixels, and each pixel would cost you one dollar if you wanted to put an image in it. Well, Alex Tew sold that entire page in record time and landed himself a nice $1,000,000. That’s right, there are six zeros there.
Now enter Ryan Shamus of Bloggings Most Wanted. Ryan has an idea that is based on the original Million Dollar Homepage, but this time the page is geared more toward the blogging community. His pixel blocks are larger as well. (40px * 40px). And for the larger pixel blocks, his price is a tiny bit more expensive. There are only 625 blocks available. A quick sellout is expected.
For $15 you can buy a block on Bloggings Most Wanted web page and become a part of blogging history. There is a strong feeling that this is going to go viral which means that it could sell out in a matter of hours after it does. The viral effect means more clicks on the image you put up, and more traffic for your blog.
One more thing, when you buy a block for $15 if you put a link on your blog (in the sidebar, in a post…etc) Ryan will paypal you $5 back. So the link only cost you $10. AFter all the blocks are sold, Ryan will also have a cash drawing of everyone who participated and bought a block. The prizes are:
1st Place – $1000.00 Dollars CASH
2nd Place – $500.00 Dollars CASH
So your $15 (or $10) investment gives you a 1 in 312.5 chance of winning at least $500. That’s not a bad return! Head on over to Bloggings Most Wanted and get yourself a spot before they are all gone.
Posted in Reviews by Bucky .